Thursday, July 10, 2008

4 Years Ago........

our special little one Drew returned home to our Heavenly Father. Can I believe that it's been 4 years?? Sometimes I can but somedays it seems like it was only yesterday and the pain and sorrow is still there. I still remember that day as if was only yesterday. I am so thankful for everyone who helped us through that time. Our family, our friends, the doctors, the nurses, Bishop Morrison who came to the hosiptal at 3 in the morning and stayed with us until at least 9. Drew was so special he taught us so much in his short 3 1/2 months here on earth. He will always be in our hearts and there are days I feel him so close especially on days I really need him. Since he has passed away we have had 2 beautiful children and I have had people ask me if that takes the pain away. I would say it softens it but it doesn't take the pain away. I am grateful for my babies but I still miss my oldest and look forward to the day that I get to see him again. For such a little guy he had so much strength to go through all he did. We where only able to hold him a few times and they were the best. I remeber Laurie telling us that most premeies don't like to be held but Drew just curled right up on our chest and went to sleep and relaxed. I know he knew that it would be a while before I get to hold him like that again. I thank him for leaving us the comfort and that memory. It's strange to think he is a man on the other side of veil. I know that he is doing the work that he needs to do and his short time here was all part of the plan. I just think how blessed we are to have such a valient person in our family that he only had to come to earth to get a body. I look forward to the day that I get to hold him again and to raise him when satan will not be free to tempt him. I know that somedays are not easy but I know Heavenly Father knows my heart and helps me and I know that we will be together forever. I am so greatful for Andy he has been so strong and has helped me in more ways than he knows, I thankful for all my children they each teach me so much. 4 years have flown by and I still miss and Love my oldest Drew he is with me always!! Here are some of the pictures we have of our little guy........


This picture was taken my Sharon at Long Beach Memorial/Millers Childrens Hosiptal right after Drew was born. He was 1 lb 41/2 oz and 11 in. He was crying when he was born which is not normal for a 23 week old baby.




One of 1st pictures of Drew in the NICU. He had sunglasses for the blue lights and the plastic sheet help keep the moisture in his skin since it was so fragile.



Andy scrubbing before going in to see Drew. Yes, it's like the doctors do before going into surgery. We had to stand there and scrub it seemed like forever every time we would leave and come back. Some days we scrubbed at least 6 times.



This is me changing Drew's diaper when he was a couple of days old. It was hard. He was so little and then I had to do it all his lines and stuff. It is much easier changing Matty and Abby. Linda told me that I needed to change his diaper because I was his Mom and we would be doing more the better he got.




One of Andy's favorite Pic's of Drew.


Andy holding Drew for the 1st time about a week and half to two weeks before he passes away.




Me holding Drew for the 1st time. We didn't tell Andy we were going to get to hold him. Laurie and I wanted to surprise him. I remeber she told me to go home (I was there early in the day) take a shower and make sure I wore a button down shirt so we could do skin on skin. It was the best feeling to hold him after waiting 3 months.

One of our only Family Pictures with Drew. We were so happy!!!

7 comments:

Marlo said...

Wow that was such a touching post, thanks for your inspiring heart felt words. I still can't imagine how it must feel to lose a child. you guys are great parents. we all miss you Drew!

Paul Rama said...

What a beautiful post. I love how you say that he let you hold him because he knew it would be a long time. What a special baby.

Deon said...

Thanks for sharing that I often wonder how you are doing! I have always loved hearing about Drew because we know how special he is,which means you must be to because you get to be his mom!!!

Huss Family said...

That was such a beautiful post. You are so strong.

Natalie said...

Sweet pictures. Thank you for writing this.

Laurie said...

Hi Kelly and Andy!
I just happen upon this the other day and decided I would let you know that I saw your post here. Drew was (and is) a sweet and special guy and will forever be in my heart as well. I still have the giraffe from that picture in a prominent place in my bedroom. One day I will bring it to Matty and Abby. Know that I think of you often and am proud to have known your little man and be apart of Matty and Abby's first days on earth. Love and Hugs,
Laurie

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.